Jordan Funeral Home, as it was known in the early forties, was located on the corner of Lee and South Main Streets in Darlington, South Carolina. After a fire destroyed the establishment, Mr. Washington Jordan built Jordan Funeral Home in 1942 around the corner on Lee Street where it is presently located. The building consisted of preparation area, showroom, chapel and viewing area.
His first funeral coach was purchased from Kistler Funeral Home and was often used for transporting people to doctor’s offices, ambulance service to hospitals, removals and funerals. His coverage area included Darlington, Timmonsville, Lamar, Dovesville, Society Hill and connecting communities.
According to Mr. Chick McCullough, Mr. Jordan's first funeral service was that of Mr.
Mauruel Carroway in September, 1942.
After completing the necessary requirements from Renouard Training School for Embalmers in New York City, Mrs. Charlotte Casley Jordan, wife of Mr. Jordan worked along with him. They faithfully continued the business with Mr. Callis Mitchell as embalmer and Mr. Willie Bristow as attendant. Upon graduation from the Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science, Mr. Sherman L. Barno, Sr. joined the staff in 1969. Mr. Jordan died on December 12, 1975.
Due to an automobile accident in 1977. Mrs. Jordan's health declined and the family torch was passed on to her son, Mr. Raymond Jordan. A graduate of the University of South Carolina, Raymond was teaching in Florence District School System but resigned to carry on the business under the supervision of his mother.
On September 29, 1982, Mrs. Jordan died. Raymond continued the family tradition. The Reverend E. B. Burroughs joined the staff and with time Raymond served his apprenticeship and obtained his Funeral Directors License in 1991.
The structure still stands on Lee Street and has been renovated to a large seating chapel and viewing area complete with both organ and piano, podium and sound system. It also includes a fourteen unit casket display room, large preparation and dressing room, office, family sitting rooms, employee lounge, male and female restrooms, seven space garage, utility and storage building and seven automobiles. The building is wheelchair accessible with wheelchair service provided. Our staff of eight includes License Director, License Embalmer, Lady Attendant, Funeral Attendants, Grave Personal, Notaries and CNA.
A dedicated staff beyond the call of duty or salary 24 hours a day for the people they serve. They are involved in church and community activities with a long family history of financially supporting church and public functions, working together beyond the norm, pleasing and satisfying.
Mr. Raymond Jordan passed on July 23, 2022. Now, Elder Sedale J. Green, M.Div., services as the Manager and Licensed Funeral Director and Embalmer, #3765. Elder Sedale J. Green, born in Darlington, but is a native of Florence and has family in Society Hill and surrounding communities. He received his B.A. in Political Science from Coker University, A. S. in Funeral Service from Gupton- Jones College of Funeral Service and Master of Divinity from Howard University. Sedale was also a congressional intern for the Honorable James E. Clyburn and the Howard University seminarian intern for the Washington National Cathedral. Sedale an Associate Pastor at Greater Zion Tabernacle Apostolic Church, P.A.W., Florence, South Carolina. Mr. Green has obtained dual licensure as a Funeral Director and Embalmer in Georgia, South Carolina, Maryland, and Washington, DC. He is a member of the National Funeral Directors Association, South Carolina Funeral Directors Association, South Carolina Morticians Association and the Sixth District Morticians Association. As Jordan Funeral Home, Inc. enters its official 80th Year, he is ‘Continuing the Legacy!’